Sunday 2 December 2012

Saying goodbye to the TV...


It’s been on my mind for a while now, that huge box in the corner of the room which our furniture, evening and dare I say lives are arranged around. We started well. Seth was 2 and hadn’t watched any TV yet and somewhere, somehow it started creeping in with the odd show whilst I cooked dinner, then we added the occasional film and now a year down the line he’s 3 and the TV, in particular Peppa Pig and her alliteration loving pals, has become a fixture in our daily lives. Some days it’s half an hour sometimes it’s several, how did we get here so fast? It’s not just him either, in the evenings me and Matthew put him to bed come downstairs and plonk ourselves in front of it and become engrossed as all our plans for the evening go out of the window.

It’s not how we want it to be, all the advertising, distraction and persuasion. It’s going. In an effort to simplify our lives and cut our consumption we have decided to get rid of the very thing that represents and promotes the opposite. I won’t lie I’m a little nervous, I have become used to using it as an easy form of entertainment but I’m actually really looking forward to it and who knows after trying to learn how to knit for over a year I may actually be able to make something. 

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment